Quantum Computing Control System
Zurich Instruments is committed to supporting the development of quantum technologies, and it is in this spirit that it now offers the first commercial Quantum Computer Control System (QCCS).
Below is an illustration of the full quantum stack highlighting some of its most relevant components:
Full Quantum Stack
The QCCS, which corresponds to the layer called "Classical System Control, Software and Hardware", ensures reliable control and measurement of a quantum device while providing a clean software interface to the next higher level in the quantum stack.
Zurich Instruments contributes hardware and software to enable researchers to scale up their setups to a large number of qubits and keep complexity to a minimum. The well-orchestrated interplay between all featured instruments gives our customers a key advantage, linking high-level quantum algorithms with their physical qubit implementation.
QCCS Key Features
- Hardware specifications that match the application: low noise, high resolution, and large bandwidth.
- A compact and scalable design: new channels can be added at any time.
- A thought-through and tested systems approach: precise synchronization and sophisticated orchestration of all input and output channels.
- Productivity-boosting software: LabOne® efficiently connects high-level quantum algorithms with the analog signals from the quantum device.
- The Programmable Quantum System Controller (PQSC) synchronizes and controls up to 18 HDAWGs.
- The HDAWG Arbitrary Waveform Generator is a compact 8-channel, high-density AWG suitable for qubit control.
- The UHFQA Quantum Analyzer reads out up to 10 qubits simultaneously thanks to its state-of-the-art filter technology.
- The LabOne control software comes with APIs for Python, C, MATLAB®, LabVIEW™ and .NET.
The PQSC Programmable Quantum System Controller brings together the instrumentation required for quantum computers with up to 100 qubits. Its ZSync low-latency, real-time communication links are designed specifically for quantum computing: the PQSC overcomes the practical limitations of traditional control methods, making automated and rapid qubit calibration routines a reality. Programming access to the powerful Xilinx UltraScale+ FPGA is the basis for developing new and optimized processing solutions for rapid tune-up and error correction adapted to the specific algorithm and computer architecture in use.
The UHFQA Quantum Analyzer is a unique instrument for parallel readout of up to 10 superconducting or spin qubits with highest speed and fidelity. The UHFQA operates on a frequency span of up to ±600 MHz with nanosecond timing resolution, and it features 2 signal inputs and outputs for IQ base-band operation. Thanks to its low-latency signal processing chain of matched filters, real-time matrix operations, and state discrimination, the UHFQA supports the development of ambitious quantum computing projects for 100 qubits and more.
HDAWG Arbitrary Waveform Generator
With the highest channel density and the most advanced synchronization features on the market, the HDAWG Arbitrary Waveform Generator is the choice for multi-channel applications with up to 64 channels. The noise characteristics of the 2.4 GSa/s, 16-bit signal generation and an ultra-low trigger latency unlock new levels of performance. Further, the LabOne control software provides an intuitive and efficient way to program arbitrary signals.